Orcas Need Salmon.
Critically endangered Southern Resident orcas are doing their part.
It’s time to do ours. We need your help.Please call and write Washington State’s U.S. SenatorsPatty Murray and Maria Cantwell today.
We must act quickly. While Southern Resident orcas have welcomed three new calves in the past year, just 75 individual whales survive today. Without enough salmon to eat, however, they are struggling to survive.
Restoring the lower Snake River is our very best opportunity to restore salmon to abundance across the Pacific Northwest region – to help to feed hungry orcas and assist struggling tribal and fishing communities at the same time.
We stand with Northwest tribal leaders, business owners, local communities, clean energy experts and countless citizens: Now is the time for a solution that works for salmon, for orcas, for tribes – for all of us.
Contact Our Senators:
Contact Senator Murray and Senator Cantwell today. Let them know how vital their leadership is before the extinction of these irreplaceable Northwest species becomes our legacy.
We need Senator’s Cantwell and Murray leadership to seize this opportunity in 2021 – to make big investments to restore salmon abundance and protect orcas, strengthen our energy and transportation infrastructure, and sustain more just and prosperous communities across the Northwest.
ACT NOW: Tell Washington’s leaders: “Now is the time to act!”
Make two phone calls:
One important thing you can do right now: pick up the phone and call Senators Murray and Cantwell – let them know that we need their leadership now for salmon and orcas, and our communities. It only takes a moment, but it makes a big impression.
Senator Cantwell’s Seattle office: (206) 220-6400
Senator Murray’s Seattle office: (206) 553-5545
Here are suggested message points:
- Introduce yourself and include where you live. Be polite and speak clearly.
- “I am calling to ask Senator Murray/Cantwell to use her leadership to work with others on the 2021 Infrastructure Bill taking shape in Congress right now. As a constituent, I strongly support restoring the lower Snake River and its salmon and investing in critical infrastructure to ensure more just and prosperous communities.”
- Share why salmon/orcas/healthy rivers are important to you, your family, and your community.
- Emphasize the need for bold and urgent action this year, and how Snake River salmon and Southern Resident orcas face extinction today: Snake River fish are returning at some of their lowest levels ever – and just 75 Southern Resident orcas survive in 2021.
- Encourage culvert replacement, stormwater and sewage treatment, restoration, removal of dams in other locations, including comprehensive investments to recover salmon and whales as other parts of the package.
Send an email to Sens. Murray and Cantwell:
You can also follow this link to send a pre-written, editable letter to Senators Murray and Cantwell – and your member of the House of Representatives. (Phone calls are more impactful – and a follow-up email can help reinforce your message!)